ack!

This 1963 patent gives detailed plans on "facilitating the birth of a child by centrifugal force."

Because "civilized women" are less active during their pregnancy than "primitive women," they often have more trouble with childbirth. In attempt to create "less stress to the mother," the mother is strapped into the device (above) and spun around to create centrifugal force to propel the baby out. The "infant reception net" is padded with cotton and the baby's weight may be designed to to "activate an electric bell, announcing the event." Source

Three forms of an anti-eating mask was patented in the 1980s. One patent suggests the use of the mask by housewives to prevent them from nibbling while cooking meals. Another patent laces elastic lines through two plastic strips adhered on the user's mouth. "In essence, my invention stimulates the idea of sewing the user's lips together, but it does so in a manner that permits speech plus limited food and liquid intake." The device, however, is claimed to be more of an emotional reminder than a physical deterrent. Source Source Source

This 1989 patent details the specifics of a smoker's hat. The hat covers the smoker's head and returns purified air to environment. Uses suggested for this hat include use on airplanes, transit systems, and for smokers whose job requires them to interact with the public. "Because of the evolving social changes in our society, there is a need for a device to put the smoker and the non-smoker on equal footing. The present invention fills that need." Source

8 comments:

i beati said...

This is fascinating - passing on- lots of spring cycling ???sandy

Michelle Johnson said...

Having gone through child birth myself I can attest I wouldn't like being strapped to a contraption and being spun around to create centrifugal force. I can only imagine how this would affect a baby not to mention the mother whose already lost a lot of blood. Not for me...

Personally I love eating so I wouldn't use that invention either while cooking.

I like the idea of smokers and non smokers being on equal ground if an invention were made to make both sides comfortable. I really dislike the smell of cigarettes.

I hope my comment wasn't to negative. Hope all is well. Have a nice day. And, thanks for stopping by my blog.

satire and theology said...

'Three forms of an anti-eating mask was patented in the 1980s.'

Hey, I have something similar on my blog.:)

coopernicus said...

Hey - look who's back! And with the usual group of items that boggle the mind....

Ailurophile said...

Wow. What weird inventions. Your blog is indeed so amazing. Thanks for keeping up with it and sharing such incredible stuff. Have a great week :)

Wendy said...

Okay, I'm completely disturbed by the childbirth contraption. Who in the world would ever think that's a good idea?? I'm so happy to be a "modern" woman. :)

Rebecca Hickman said...

Your posts always make me think. Thanks!

odd facts said...

i beati: I didn't cycle too much this Spring. I wish I would have had time to!

Michelle Johnson: Not too negative at all. For the baby-spinning invention I had to resist banging my head on the table.

satire and theology: Really!?!?

coopernicus: It's good to be back. I just hope life won't make me disappear again. (That wasn't supposed to sound as ominous as it did.)

Ailurophile: Thank you I did. This week was not so bad either. :)

Wendy: a man.

Rebecca: Thank you. I always enjoy tracking down the research.