Inventions

Since 1977, Paris has banned skyscrapers, but architects Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron have designed a triangular 50-story skyscraper. The shape, more like a shark fin, is designed for "optimum solar and wind power generation." The skyscraper, Le Project Triangle, will be a combination office-hotel. The big sell? Because of its design, it "won't cast shadows on surrounding streets." In Britain in 1832, if a window had sunlight for twenty years, according to planning regulations, it could legally demand to keep at least some of that light despite new buildings. Instead of a height-restriction on buildings, New York regulates the shape of building as to not block too much light. Source. Source.

Architect David Fisher has designed the first moving skyscraper for Dubai. There will be 80 floors, each a prefabricated apartment, that will be able to independently rotate 360 degrees at a vocal command. A rotation takes between one to three hours. The building will generate its own energy and feed extra energy into the grid with its "79 giant power-generating wind turbines located between each floor." The project will cost $700 million and be completed in 2010. The residences will cost anywhere from $3.7 million to $36 million. Another moving skyscraper is planned for Moscow. Source. Source.

Most foods are harvested then transported to stores, but Agata Jaworska believes that food should grow while being transported. Perishable items could grow during transportation and arrive at the store more fresh. Source.
The Touch Sight Camera is a camera for the blind. To take a picture, hold the camera to your forehead. On the back of the camera, the picture is displayed on a braille screen with a three dimensional representation of the image. Helpful audio is also included. Source.

27 comments:

coltfan said...

great post!

Peter Schmidt said...

I like the skyscraper.

AY@tes said...

I'd really love to try out the camera for the blind. Actually, I'd love to be able to read braille so that I can figure out what bill is in my pocket without looking. (In Canada our new bills, starting in 2001 I beleive, all have braille on them for the blind.)

I wonder if the Japanese will find a way to grow pizza in transport from the shop to my door.

i beati said...

all 4 items so fascinating as always - you never cease to amaze

odd facts said...

coltfan: Thank you.
Peter Schmidt: If this is the Peter Schmidt I know, "HI!" If not, thanks for dropping by.
ay@tes: That is really neat about the bills. I've always wanted to learn braille too, but ended up learning sign language.
i beati: Thanks. I try.

Peter said...

It is the Peter Schmidt you know.

odd facts said...

Happy to see you, but how on earth did you find this blog and know it was mine?

Peter said...

The Bollig's blog has a sidebar with their "blogroll", and one said "Ashley's Odd Facts", so I checked it out, and here I am!

thekingpin68 said...

"Architect David Fisher has designed the first moving skyscraper for Dubai."

Dubai seems like an amazing place for architecture.

Peter said...

Yea, they also made an huge full size indoor skiing resort in the middle of a desert. All the oil in that area has made a bunch of nomads multi-billionaires.

Peter said...

Yea, they also made an huge full size indoor skiing resort in the middle of a desert. All the oil in that area has made a bunch of nomads multi-billionaires.

AY@tes said...

Peter: Want to know the worst part? They've done studies and the oil in Dubai is going to run out by 2030 so they're turning it into an ultra-modern posh tourist city.

Peter said...

Ha! That's quite funny, though it makes sense.

coopernicus said...

Something about an entire apartment moving 50 stories in the air un-nerves me...

satire and theology said...

Merry Christmas, Ms. O.F.

Russ:)

AZZITIZZ said...

HEY THERE, HAPPY NEW YEAR.

LOVE AZZY
XX

The Scribe said...

So, I've actually seen the live produce here in the states. It seems like a really cool idea, you get some REALLY fresh food that way

Hapi said...

Hello there my friend! I found your blog very interesting so I have added your link in my Blogroll. I hope you'll link me back. Have a nice day! http://hapiblogging.blogspot.com/

Carlos said...

Hi! Care to x-link? I have added you already in my list. Have a nice day! http://carlos-ideas.blogspot.com

Plokmaster's Software Blogs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Keyword said...

Submit your Blog to our Newest PR 3 Web Directory for Bloggers. Visit KeywordDir.info

Hapi said...

Hi there... want to change your favicon? find out how.. Have a nice tuesday!

Hapi said...

Happy Wednesday! Bloghoppin' here... Hey, I have an interesting tutorial for you that I have written myself. It is about adding Adsense on your Single Post in XML template. I hope you'll like it! God Bless you!

satire and theology said...

Hi OF,

I passed my PhD, please check my blogs and I hope all is well.

Russ:)

Peter said...

I miss Odd Fact posts.

Jay said...

ODD it is!!

With that, you are entitled to make a post about your blog in my blog interestingunusualfacts.com.
You can say whatever you want to promote your blog.
And in return, just put my link wherever you like putting it in your blog.

If interested, you can directly email me your post at
interestingunusualfacts@gmail.com

Nice topics you got here!

Ailurophile said...

How fascinating. Interesting blog. Hope you resume it some day!