Spare Change


  • This 72,000 square-foot house is listed at $165 million, the highest ever asking price for an American residential property. It includes 41 bedrooms, 8 fireplaces, 29 bedrooms, 3 swimming pools, 22 foot arched ceilings and 1 disco. The house, featured in The Godfather and The Bodyguard, is from the 1920s and sold in 1947 for $120,000. With a view listed as "canyon, pool, treetop," it includes 6.25 acres in the vicinity of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, Jeff Bezos of Amazon and David and Victoria Beckham.
To put things in perspective:
  • It would take an estimated 10 hours to quickly clean all of the bathrooms.
  • Other things that cost $165 million: A Boeing 787 Dreamliner Passenger Jet and NASA's Mars Polar Lander.
  • Half the world lives on under two dollars a day.
  • Every second child lives in poverty and 1.4 million children die each year from lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation
If you like this post, check out one of my older posts including a $14,000 diamond-studded tea bag here.

And by the way, thanks for your patience. I haven't posted recently because of finals week.

Sources: Dec 07 Reader's Digest, poverty facts

8 comments:

satire and theology said...

Thanks for the link, and I shall return it. All the best with finals, and too bad this blogging business was not more profitable in order we could all buy houses like the one above...;)

R.E.H. said...

If that house sold for $120.000 today, I would find some way of purchasing that estate right now!

I would make a fortune selling it afterwards!

[KILLER_X] said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
[KILLER_X] said...

Cheese-a-palooza!

That house is colossal! I'd love to own it. I'd transform it into a cheese-making machine.

Just kidding. I actually have no idea what I'd do with it. But it looks cool, that is for sure!

[KILLER_X]
Cool Ideas

odd facts said...

cheese-a-palooza! Like that.

See The Sunshine said...

What could you possibly need 41 bedrooms for? No one has 41 children...I hope.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I was thinking of buying it myself until I found out who my neighbours would be and then I thought Nah! I prefer to live amongst real people.Plastic ain't my scene.

Anonymous said...

i would buy that house if it wasn't so stinkin ungly gosh it horrible!!!!!!!!!!! ewww