cheese!

This is casu marzu cheese from Sardinia. It has maggots and burns in the mouth. When the maggots eat the cheese, they release an enzyme that putrefies the cheese's fat. If you choose to eat the cheese with the maggots, convention tells you to cover your eyes so no maggots will jump into them. If you choose to eat the cheese without the maggots, put the cheese in a paper bag and wait for the sounds of the suffocating maggots to stop. Although in Sardinia the cheese is technically banned, it is readily available on the black market and its ban is rarely enforced. It is typically eaten with bread and red wine.
A Wikipedia article about it is here.

10 comments:

40 Forever said...

I love being a librarian. For more information, check out ala.org.
I enjoyed reading your stinky cheese post. Happy Thanksgiving!

odd facts said...

Thank you. I will check it out.

AY@tes said...

Dude, that is some nasty sounding cheese. Yes, I'd like my cheese served with a side of *barf*.

I can't even come up with anything the equals it.

odd facts said...

It reminds me of Fear Factor.

R.E.H. said...

Jeez Cheeze!

And it is banned? And people buy it off the black market? That has got to be the nastiest sounding snack I have ever heard of! :)

odd facts said...

I can see it now- a furtive looking person buying maggoty cheese in a dark ally.

Debbie said...

I'm curious as to what suffocating maggots sound like.

Not that I would ever try this. Just curious.

Daszzle said...

Hey Oddfacts, thanks for stopping by! Very cool blog you've got here :)

kasper794 said...

Cool post but I could do without the maggots. LOL
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

odd facts said...

Maggots are just intrinsically gross.