To get us started, here is a list of 10 unusual phobias. A full list can be found at http://www.phobialist.com/.
- Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.
- Xanthophobia- Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow.
- Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch.
- Defecaloesiophobia- Fear of painful bowels movements.
- Ideophobia- Fear of ideas.
- Ouranophobia or Uranophobia- Fear of heaven.
- Cyberphobia- Fear of computers or working on a computer.
- Pentheraphobia- Fear of mother-in-law. (Novercaphobia)
- Chaetophobia- Fear of hair.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
Now, to be fair, obviously real people have had these phobias and I am not trying to make fun of them. I couldn't make fun of them if I wanted to, because I used to be afraid of salt. You just have to wonder how one finds they have a fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth or what might have caused someone to be afraid of the Dutch. I just feel sorry for the person with fear of long words, how would they react to the long word that is their diagnosis? Hmmm . . .
- Do you have any unique fears? Any phobias to add?